Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Filling slots where circuit breakers used to be?

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 00:36:44 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I don't believe there'd be anything in the code requiring a person to
remove breakers that aren't being used, but I'd take them out if it wuz
me.

Doing so makes it immediately obvious that those spaces aren't being
used. If you ever hire an electrician, he might not notice that there
aren't any wires going to those breakers, and end up putting new
breakers in somewhere else. This way, the electrician would realize
that those spaces are available and use them instead. And that's the
way I'd want it done if it were my house.

I've dealt with many electricians both residential and industrial. If
one of them did not check when the breaker was marked "spare" he'd not
be working for me. Every single time they would take the cover off
and check inside. We have one panel that has 20 spares now than
everything used by the previous owner moved out. Our insurance
inspector notices in about 5 seconds so I imagine a good electrician
would be as quick.