Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Filling slots where circuit breakers used to be?

After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a hottub,
what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are there dummy
"breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the homeowner) and the
hot bus (safer for the next person who service the panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But extra
breakers is probably non code compliant?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 01:47:04 -0700, "bob" wrote:

After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a hottub,
what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are there dummy
"breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the homeowner) and the
hot bus (safer for the next person who service the panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But extra
breakers is probably non code compliant?

Leave the breakers in place. I've seen hundreds of them like that over
the years. Some day you may need another breaker and there it is!

Alternative method is buy a new hot tub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a
hottub, what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are there
dummy "breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the homeowner)
and the hot bus (safer for the next person who service the panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But
extra breakers is probably non code compliant?

*It is okay to leave the circuit breakers in there. Just label them
"Spare". You can get specific panel knock out seals for your brand of panel
at an electrical supply company. I have also seen a few at Home Depot and
Lowes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2013 3:47 AM, bob wrote:
After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a
hottub, what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are
there dummy "breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the
homeowner) and the hot bus (safer for the next person who service the
panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But
extra breakers is probably non code compliant?

There is the good old standby, duct tape.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 8:16*am, Bill Gill wrote:
On 6/6/2013 3:47 AM, bob wrote: After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a
hottub, what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are
there dummy "breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the
homeowner) and the hot bus (safer for the next person who service the
panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But
extra breakers is probably non code compliant?

There is the good old standby, duct tape.

Bill

I vote to leave the breakers in and marked "spare". That is
definitely easier and cheaper than buying a new hot tub. Also, it is
completely ok to satisfy electrical code enforcers as far as I know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 4:47*am, "bob" wrote:
After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a hottub,
what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are there dummy
"breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the homeowner) and the
hot bus (safer for the next person who service the panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But extra
breakers is probably non code compliant?

What did you use to cover the spot where the hot tub used to be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 2:33*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 6, 8:16*am, Bill Gill wrote:

On 6/6/2013 3:47 AM, bob wrote: After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a
hottub, what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are
there dummy "breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the
homeowner) and the hot bus (safer for the next person who service the
panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But
extra breakers is probably non code compliant?

There is the good old standby, duct tape.

Bill

I vote to leave the breakers in and marked "spare". *That is
definitely easier and cheaper than buying a new hot tub. *Also, it is
completely ok to satisfy electrical code enforcers as far as I know.

yeah leave the breakers in place marked spare, with wires disconnected
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
But extra breakers is probably non code compliant?
I don't believe there'd be anything in the code requiring a person to remove breakers that aren't being used, but I'd take them out if it wuz me.

Doing so makes it immediately obvious that those spaces aren't being used. If you ever hire an electrician, he might not notice that there aren't any wires going to those breakers, and end up putting new breakers in somewhere else. This way, the electrician would realize that those spaces are available and use them instead. And that's the way I'd want it done if it were my house.

Home Depot sells what you want:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...FPCP/202353304

Connecticut Electric Federal Pacific Filler Plate-VPKNCFS at The Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-BR-...FPCS/100209453

Last edited by nestork : June 7th 13 at 12:04 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote:

After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a hottub,
what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are there dummy
"breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the homeowner) and the
hot bus (safer for the next person who service the panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But extra
breakers is probably non code compliant?

They make covers that snap into the space in the panel cover where the breakers
used to be. Home Depot & Lowes carry them in their electrical departments.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:
On 6/6/2013 3:47 AM, bob wrote:
After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a
hottub, what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are
there dummy "breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the
homeowner) and the hot bus (safer for the next person who service the
panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But
extra breakers is probably non code compliant?

There is the good old standby, duct tape.

Bill

Leave it open so you can spray WD 40 in there.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
bob;3074306 Wrote:
But extra breakers is probably non code compliant?

I don't believe there'd be anything in the code requiring a person to
remove breakers that aren't being used, but I'd take them out if it wuz
me.

Doing so makes it immediately obvious that those spaces aren't being
used. If you ever hire an electrician, he might not notice that there
aren't any wires going to those breakers, and end up putting new
breakers in somewhere else. This way, the electrician would realize
that those spaces are available and use them instead. And that's the
way I'd want it done if it were my house.

Home Depot sells what you want:

http://tinyurl.com/kfkonyp

'Connecticut Electric Federal Pacific Filler Plate-VPKNCFS at The Home
Depot' (http://tinyurl.com/l7g9ydt)

http://tinyurl.com/k3kksv6

I would hope that if a breaker was clearly marked as "Spare", any
electrician (or non-electrician) would realize that they are available for
use. At a minimum, I would hope that the marking would cause him/her to
give them a second look and notice that they were not wired.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 9:05*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
nestork wrote:
bob;3074306 Wrote:
[...]

give them a second look and notice that they were not wired.- Hide quoted text -

You have to have hope for humanity, this would be just one small
example. But, you can't legislate common sense,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 00:36:44 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I don't believe there'd be anything in the code requiring a person to
remove breakers that aren't being used, but I'd take them out if it wuz
me.

Doing so makes it immediately obvious that those spaces aren't being
used. If you ever hire an electrician, he might not notice that there
aren't any wires going to those breakers, and end up putting new
breakers in somewhere else. This way, the electrician would realize
that those spaces are available and use them instead. And that's the
way I'd want it done if it were my house.

I've dealt with many electricians both residential and industrial. If
one of them did not check when the breaker was marked "spare" he'd not
be working for me. Every single time they would take the cover off
and check inside. We have one panel that has 20 spares now than
everything used by the previous owner moved out. Our insurance
inspector notices in about 5 seconds so I imagine a good electrician
would be as quick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 01:47:04 -0700, "bob" wrote:

After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a hottub,
what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are there dummy
"breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the homeowner) and the
hot bus (safer for the next person who service the panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But extra
breakers is probably non code compliant?

Just run some wires from that unused breaker and connect them to your
neighbors house. That way he can get free electricity!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 3:47:04 AM UTC-5, bob wrote:
After removing two circuit breakers and wires that used to supply a hottub,
what is the proper way to cover the slots in the panel? Are there dummy
"breakers" that cover both the slot (looks better for the homeowner) and the
hot bus (safer for the next person who service the panel)?

Right now I just removed the wires and put the two breakers back. But extra
breakers is probably non code compliant?

I would run a wire from the unused breaker to a pumpkin seed farm. That way all the gases will find love and grow tomatoes for the fish.

How do you keep blast gate slots from filling with stuff? Pete S Woodworking 7 June 22nd 12 10:05 AM
Two breakers, one circuit drhender Home Repair 11 October 31st 08 10:07 PM
circuit breakers frank Home Repair 14 December 28th 06 11:58 PM
Do circuit breakers die of old age? [email protected] UK diy 12 November 10th 06 01:16 PM
Circuit Breakers Weatherlawyer UK diy 1 October 6th 06 08:38 AM