Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bearing alternatives???

On 6/6/2013 7:37 AM, dpb wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have current pictures; best I've found on web is at

http://www.ntractorclub.com/manuals/misc/
/implementsTransmix%20Utility%20Mixer%20-%20Dealer%20Ad%20Brochure%20-
%20Other%20Mfg%27s.pdf

The picture from the rear on an International 300 is best view of way it
was mounted on the Farmall 2-pt "quick-tach"...

Actually, you can visualize pretty well the problem from the "numbered
selling points" diagram/picture at top of second page in the brochure.

Pt 8 highlights the PTO extension and altho it's a little tough to see
'cuz they left a white square in the image between the 6 and the 8 you
can just make out the open end of the drive hub on the end of the shaft
by the dark shadow. At that point that #6 is a tire mounted on a rim
welded to the bottom end of the drum and it rests on that outboard end
of the shaft.

The shaft is supported originally by a solidly-mounted casting w/ a
bearing at the outboard end for load support there and the casting
mounting was adapted to the particular tractor such that it carried the
load at the drive end to avoid transferring the drum load to the tractor
PTO bearing.

Since I can't use the casting on present tractor(s), I'll have to
construct a replacement structure for it and mount it on drawbar hanger
and whatever else works out to be convenient attachment point. I'm
thinking rather than try to make such a heavy mount and rely totally on
the one rear bearing I'll just add a support bearing at both ends of the
shaft on my new support.

One I've got this, then I'll have final dimensions from which to work to
adapt the cradle from the 2-pt arrangement to use the 3-pt arms and then
it looks like can use the rollbar mounting brackets for the upper
supports w/o too much effort--turns out they're in at least same
ballpark of the same width as the existing axle support mounts and
roughly same height.