Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bearing alternatives???

On 6/5/2013 10:30 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
On 5/25/2013 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:

Background...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; am adapting
mount on little JD 955 utility tractor.

Have pulled the PTO shaft from the humongous casting that was mounted to
the rear PTO cover plate on the 560 but that is far too big in outside
dimensions to fit into the area around a PTO on any even recently modern
tractor...so the plan was/is to build another support structure to mount
from the drawbar hanger and whatever else can find that is convenient
and planned on bolting just some pillow blocks to it for the
bearings/support.

Am I missing something? Can't you just use a standard PTO shaft, and
bore and pin one end to match the drive on your mixer. I have three
implements that use a PTO, and I have a PTO drive shaft I leave on each
one. They were not particularly expensive.

Yeah, what you're missing is that this is a solid PTO shaft extension
and the mixer drum is friction-driven by resting a tire on the roller
(outboard) end of this extension, not a direct drive. That eliminates
all gearing that would otherwise be necessary to let the drum tip for
dumping.

Originally this shaft was supported by the large casting w/ the inboard
end (driven end) supported by a matching ring that fit against the rear
housing around the tractor PTO to keep the load off the PTO shaft but
there's not enough clearance for that. So, I need a way to support the
drive shaft w/o the former casting.

Unfortunately, I don't have current pictures; best I've found on web is at

http://www.ntractorclub.com/manuals/misc/
/implementsTransmix%20Utility%20Mixer%20-%20Dealer%20Ad%20Brochure%20-
%20Other%20Mfg%27s.pdf

The picture from the rear on an International 300 is best view of way it
was mounted on the Farmall 2-pt "quick-tach" -- the Farmall (looks like
an old "M", maybe, in the picture?) isn't quite the same altho we had it
on the 560; it was later "styled" w/ the squared-up front grill and the
2-pt. That one appears to be w/ external hydraulic cylinders attached
on to the swinging drawbar support as near as I can tell.