Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Bught an interesting 1944 Monarch lathe 16x54

On 2013-06-06, Existential Angst wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:20 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

OK, I understand why 500rpm is too low to cut properly on small
diameters,
but is it possible to increase the speed of this particular lathe? Is
there something about the drive or bearings that makes it impossible?

Proly could just change the motor speed (assuming the motor is not
already
3600 rpm), and/or the drive pulleys. I'm sure the bearings could handle
it,
altho it is generally true that the faster the rpm, the faster the wear.
Many lathes come with two-speed motors.

This lathe is 70 year old by design and age.

Can you increase the "motor speed" of a 70 year old grandfaher? What will
happen to the grandpa in the long run? we all know

I already conceded that wear is proportional to stress, rpm. 80 mph is more
wear/tear on a vehicle than 50 mph....
And????

You can give grandpa a heart transplant, and swap out the motor, for a
higher rpm motor. Or the pulleys.
Not saying you should do it, just saying it can be done, and you'd have yer
cake and be able to eat it too.
You've already stated that you refuse to retain two lathes. This would be a
good solution, if you really like this lathe other than the rpm.

If you were doing lots of 1,000+ rpm work, I'd say keep both lathes, as
others have suggested.
If not, you have to make a choice. Swapping the motor, pulleys is just
another option.
--
EA