Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Shipbreaking in Illinois

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:04:28 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
news
On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 20:17:16 -0500, Ignoramus31152
wrote:

I am eyeing this boat to buy and scrap.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6295962

It is an assault landing craft, guesstimated at 100 tons of
displacement/weight.

[For a moment, I considered invading some country with my equipment and
personnel, we have a real "candidate master of shooting sports" on
staff, as well as a captain and driver, and some military vehicles,
but then I gave up on the idea.]

So, back to scrapping. My idea was to buy this assault ship, find a
marina to beach it, cut it up, extract the 12V-71 diesels for sale,
hydraulic winch, and scrap the rest. I do not foresee any technical
problems with cutting up this boat, assuming that it is safely on
land.

My question is how much of an issue are marine or environmental
regulations. I have never dealt with stuff like that and I do not want
to get in over my head. Is that a situation that is tightly
controlled, or kind of laid back like cutting up commercial trucks?

There are some pretty strict laws about some stuff on the boat - the
anti-fouling paint for example, or any old fashioned insulation that
might be in it. The boat is 69 feet long by 21 feet wide and probably
close to 6 feet in hull depth so it is not something you can cut up in
a normal marina or yard that specializes in yacht work. If you go into
a commercial yard they usually charge a cost for hauling the boat plus
a daily charge and some yards limit the type of work that you can do
your self, other work can be done by yard personnel of course.

I would suggest that you first talk to a ship yard to determine costs.
Another point is the boat looks, in the photos, like it is in fairly
good condition. It might be worth something as a boat.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

It would likely be a pretty expensive boat to run. I didn't notice
what it had for generators but the main engines drink enough fuel to
bankrupt the average man :-)

And, a steel hull boat takes an amazing amount of care if you want to
re-sell the boat at some future time.

--
Cheers,

John B.