Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shipbreaking in Illinois

I am eyeing this boat to buy and scrap.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6295962

It is an assault landing craft, guesstimated at 100 tons of
displacement/weight.

[For a moment, I considered invading some country with my equipment and
personnel, we have a real "candidate master of shooting sports" on
staff, as well as a captain and driver, and some military vehicles,
but then I gave up on the idea.]

So, back to scrapping. My idea was to buy this assault ship, find a
marina to beach it, cut it up, extract the 12V-71 diesels for sale,
hydraulic winch, and scrap the rest. I do not foresee any technical
problems with cutting up this boat, assuming that it is safely on
land.

My question is how much of an issue are marine or environmental
regulations. I have never dealt with stuff like that and I do not want
to get in over my head. Is that a situation that is tightly
controlled, or kind of laid back like cutting up commercial trucks?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 20:17:16 -0500, Ignoramus31152
wrote:

[...]

There are some pretty strict laws about some stuff on the boat - the
anti-fouling paint for example, or any old fashioned insulation that
might be in it. The boat is 69 feet long by 21 feet wide and probably
close to 6 feet in hull depth so it is not something you can cut up in
a normal marina or yard that specializes in yacht work. If you go into
a commercial yard they usually charge a cost for hauling the boat plus
a daily charge and some yards limit the type of work that you can do
your self, other work can be done by yard personnel of course.

I would suggest that you first talk to a ship yard to determine costs.
Another point is the boat looks, in the photos, like it is in fairly
good condition. It might be worth something as a boat.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/3/2013 6:17 PM, Ignoramus31152 wrote:
[...]

The coolant in the water in the hull is hazardous material and would
have to be handled so as to not contaminate the waterway. Also look for
lead paint and asbestos.

Has anyone else bought one of these boats? What did they do with it?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

[...]

I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You may make more money selling it to an oil company or harbor
construction firm. Scrapping it may not be the best choice.

Then there is a rather large number of military collectors....

Might want to browse around a bit before lighting the torch.....

http://www.elastec.com/workboats/

etc etc etc

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31152" wrote in message
I am eyeing this boat to buy and scrap.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6295962

It is an assault landing craft, guesstimated at 100 tons of
displacement/weight.

[For a moment, I considered invading some country with my equipment and
personnel, we have a real "candidate master of shooting sports" on
staff, as well as a captain and driver, and some military vehicles,
but then I gave up on the idea.]

Sounds like a perfect item for the prepper market. Portable bunker, water
tight,
self propelled, complete electrical system with generator. Escape doomsday
sailing the great lakes.

Priced to sell only $250K.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/3/2013 11:12 PM, azotic wrote:

Sounds like a perfect item for the prepper market. Portable bunker,
water tight,
self propelled, complete electrical system with generator.
Escape doomsday sailing the great lakes.

But to what end?

I recently read "The Road".
My wife is a disaster junkie (literature wise).

I'd call it an important piece, but not an easy read at all.

Haven't seen the movie. Don't want to, either.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has wondered what
doomsday might be like...

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 00:53:48 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 6/3/2013 11:12 PM, azotic wrote:

Sounds like a perfect item for the prepper market. Portable bunker,
water tight,
self propelled, complete electrical system with generator.
Escape doomsday sailing the great lakes.

But to what end?

I recently read "The Road".
My wife is a disaster junkie (literature wise).

I'd call it an important piece, but not an easy read at all.

Haven't seen the movie. Don't want to, either.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has wondered what
doomsday might be like...

Richard

That LST would not be a very good Great Lakes craft in any sort of
storm. Any wave action over 6 feet would likely be fatal on the
Lakes...given the short distance between crests on those lakes

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/3/2013 9:17 PM, Ignoramus31152 wrote:
[...]

The yard charges can be substantial, due partially to the strict
regulation of hazardous materials near the water.
But perhaps the vessel is serviceable. A survey might be in order.
The usual advertising medium:

http://boats-and-harbors.com/

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 6/3/2013 11:12 PM, azotic wrote:

Sounds like a perfect item for the prepper market. Portable bunker,
water tight,
self propelled, complete electrical system with generator.
Escape doomsday sailing the great lakes.

But to what end?

I recently read "The Road".
My wife is a disaster junkie (literature wise).

I'd call it an important piece, but not an easy read at all.

Haven't seen the movie. Don't want to, either.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has wondered what
doomsday might be like...

Richard

I think it would depend on the type of doomsday SCENARIO
someone anticipates. At best it would only be a temporary
solution. You still have to resupply at some piont in time.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:04:28 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

It would likely be a pretty expensive boat to run. I didn't notice
what it had for generators but the main engines drink enough fuel to
bankrupt the average man :-)

And, a steel hull boat takes an amazing amount of care if you want to
re-sell the boat at some future time.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 01:59:58 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
On 6/3/2013 11:12 PM, azotic wrote:

Sounds like a perfect item for the prepper market. Portable bunker,
water tight,
self propelled, complete electrical system with generator.
Escape doomsday sailing the great lakes.

But to what end?

I recently read "The Road".
My wife is a disaster junkie (literature wise).

By Jack Kerouac, or some other author?

I'd call it an important piece, but not an easy read at all.

Haven't seen the movie. Don't want to, either.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has wondered what
doomsday might be like...

Richard

I think it would depend on the type of doomsday SCENARIO
someone anticipates. At best it would only be a temporary
solution. You still have to resupply at some piont in time.

And after a breakdown of civilization, wouldn't all those little
pirate captains onshore go all 'Somalia' on a ship at sea, which
obviously has plenty of supplies?

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, anorton wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:31:24 -0500, Ignoramus11086

On 2013-06-04, anorton wrote:
I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

Chances are high that the person interested in doing something like
that would allow it to reside in whatever body of water it is already
floating, don't you think? But with an 80T capacity, building a house
on top would be entirely possible. It's not entirely unlikely. Hell,
people buy and retrofit ICBM missle silos into homes now.

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, anorton wrote:
I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

Chances are high that the person interested in doing something like
that would allow it to reside in whatever body of water it is already
floating, don't you think? But with an 80T capacity, building a house
on top would be entirely possible. It's not entirely unlikely. Hell,
people buy and retrofit ICBM missle silos into homes now.

People buy and turn barges into houseboats. And they are often
bigger.

http://www.nachi.org/images10-2/floa...ions_barge.jpg

http://www.specialagentsrealty.com/w...6/DSC_0011.jpg

http://blog.seattlepi.com/realestate.../Houseboat.jpg

etc etc etc

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/01/re...practical.html

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11086 wrote:
I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

And they are used all the time to build into homes. Here are some
floating homes for sail.

http://www.jbsfloatinghomes.idxco.co...8/featured.php

As far as the regulations, marine regs make the DOT look like great
guys. LOT's of regs, plus there is very likely some haz-mat involved
since the feds were not concerned about that stuff.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I forsee a whole host of potential environmental and safety hazards if you
have to scrap it while floating. Might be less to deal with if you can
scrap it in dry dock.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, anorton wrote:
I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

Chances are high that the person interested in doing something like
that would allow it to reside in whatever body of water it is already
floating, don't you think? But with an 80T capacity, building a house
on top would be entirely possible. It's not entirely unlikely. Hell,
people buy and retrofit ICBM missle silos into homes now.

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

There are some awfully big houseboats out there. Here's one with a
helicopter landing pad:
http://www.luxuryhouseboats.com/yacht/

Again, I do not know if the weather on the great lakes is conducive to this
sort of living.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
d32 d32 is offline

On Monday, June 3, 2013 6:17:16 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus31152 wrote:
I am eyeing this boat to buy and scrap. http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6295962 It is an assault landing craft, guesstimated at 100 tons of displacement/weight. [For a moment, I considered invading some country with my equipment and personnel, we have a real "candidate master of shooting sports" on staff, as well as a captain and driver, and some military vehicles, but then I gave up on the idea.] So, back to scrapping. My idea was to buy this assault ship, find a marina to beach it, cut it up, extract the 12V-71 diesels for sale, hydraulic winch, and scrap the rest. I do not foresee any technical problems with cutting up this boat, assuming that it is safely on land. My question is how much of an issue are marine or environmental regulations. I have never dealt with stuff like that and I do not want to get in over my head. Is that a situation that is tightly controlled, or kind of laid back like cutting up commercial trucks? i

I would be extreamly carfull about the lead in the boat. I was stationed on a CG cutter in the late 70s. We used a ton of red lead primer. This boat was built in 1974 so it going to be covered in it. You could get in trouble with the EPA just cutting it the paint with a torch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, anorton wrote:
I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

Chances are high that the person interested in doing something like
that would allow it to reside in whatever body of water it is already
floating, don't you think? But with an 80T capacity, building a house
on top would be entirely possible. It's not entirely unlikely. Hell,
people buy and retrofit ICBM missle silos into homes now.

Only silos the held the earliest missiles. Newer silos have to be
filled in, as they are decommissioned. More BS from international
treaties.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, anorton wrote:
I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

Chances are high that the person interested in doing something like
that would allow it to reside in whatever body of water it is already
floating, don't you think? But with an 80T capacity, building a house
on top would be entirely possible. It's not entirely unlikely. Hell,
people buy and retrofit ICBM missle silos into homes now.

People buy and turn barges into houseboats. And they are often
bigger.

http://www.nachi.org/images10-2/floa...ions_barge.jpg

Hit with several dozen ugly sticks, wot? Wow!

http://www.specialagentsrealty.com/w...6/DSC_0011.jpg

Kinda cute. You could line up all sorts of bikinified girlies on the
top, couldn't you?

http://blog.seattlepi.com/realestate.../Houseboat.jpg

Not too bad.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Go find one of those tv documentaries on sinking ships for artificial
reefs for absolute worst case. Those guys had an endless list of
hazmat -- cleaning tasks to prep for sinking. The one I remember was
the carrier Oriskany. Obviously a much bigger job, but gave a good
view of the types of remediation required. Gives an idea of why most
of these type jobs happen on the shores of Pakistan or India with very
little regulation.

Hopefully yours would be simpler if you could get it on dry land. By
the way, according to Wikipedia, the Oriskany was sold for scrap, then
repossessed for lack of progress.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, anorton wrote:
I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a
lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

Chances are high that the person interested in doing something like
that would allow it to reside in whatever body of water it is already
floating, don't you think? But with an 80T capacity, building a house
on top would be entirely possible. It's not entirely unlikely. Hell,
people buy and retrofit ICBM missle silos into homes now.

People buy and turn barges into houseboats. And they are often
bigger.

http://www.nachi.org/images10-2/floa...ions_barge.jpg

Hit with several dozen ugly sticks, wot? Wow!

More proof there isn't any place that plastic siding doesn't look tacky.