Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Liberator Updated

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 00:04:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 16:43:56 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:35:42 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 10:41:38 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Well, it's time to pull out those stitches. Wish me luck. Part of
the reason I went to the ER is to quiz the doctor about lido. I have
some 4% cream. He said the liquid lido he uses goes bad fairly quickly
and needs to be refrigerated, so I couldn't bring it home. He also
cautioned me about using it for large areas, such as very long cuts or
burned areas. I hadn't realized it could be toxic, or even fatal, if
used in large doses. He said they use limb blocks for the large cuts,
like sheetmetal (or sword?) wounds. Anyway, my cream is ready for me
if it's needed for five little stitches... g

3 minutes later: I had no problem with the stitches. The Ethilon slid
easily out of the skin in under a minute. No blood, pain, or fuss.
Debriding took a bit longer, removing old skin and scab material, so
it's all ready for work again tomorrow with a fresh bandaid over it.

You have just earned your Survivalist Neophyte First Aid Badge.

Tendjewberrymud.

Next step up is putting in your own stitches (if really needed) and
determining if they are Really Needed.

I still feel they were necessary. I don't mind closing a 1/8" gap on
meat, and have done so several times. But the 3/16" gap on flappy
skin which stretched open every time I closed my hand was too wide to
safely butterfly shut. I have sutures for the future, when needed.
They're also Ethilon, so they have no real expiration date like the
flighty silk suture does. They pull out quite easily, too, I found
out. Me -like- that. g

http://www.face-body.com/topical.htm

Etc etc.

I keep a dozen or so suture kits around the homestead. A couple times
a year one of the critters or the roommates will open themselves up
badly enough for stitches, though I generally will use butterflys on
the roommates before sutures.

Vet supply places are far far cheaper for this sort of thing than are
med outlets

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07554-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&ccd=IFF003&utm_source=google&utm_medi um=cpc&utm_campaign=F%2BCat%2BLivestock%2BEquip%2B And%2BSupp%2B%286000%29%2BPLA&mr:trackingCode=0A4A C464-3C81-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad= 15165183283&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=351923 59003&gclid=COjZ4Leox7cCFa9cQgodj2kASQ

Yeah, I found MedVetIntl on eBay and got a dozen 3-0 suture kits for
$11.49, delivered. Wow, $10.78 now: http://tinyurl.com/kdhw97u

Best suture kit available on the net?

Postby Apache » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:13 pm
Depends how often you use the kit and if it's only intended to be used
for suturing or a bit of minor surgery. I would make a kit up myself
with the following:
Needleholder (personal choice)
Rat toothed forceps
Plain (Addison) forceps
Fine straight scissors
suture scissors
No 3 scalpel handle (& 5 No 10 blade, 5 No 11 & 5 No 12)
mosquito artery forceps (3X if for minor Sx)
(2 Spencer Wells forceps, curved & a pair of Mayo scissors if for
minor Sx)

I have a similar kit. $8.79 + $3.28 s/h. http://tinyurl.com/mdro6hj
They're a bit more now, but still _very_ reasonable. I was amused to
find that the tools the ER doctor used were also made in Pakistan. He
let me bring them home, so my kit is now enlarged.

Keep em in a 30 cal can with argon infused in it before closing.

With a TIG welder around, argon is easy to come by, isn't it? I use it
to keep my 1 gallon cans of furniture finishes from skinning over.

--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,