Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Is this baby snake coiled up outside a gopher snake or a rattler?

On 6/2/2013 5:08 PM, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 14:39:15 -0700, Red wrote:

you can see the small pit in front of the eye on
your 1st picture.

I zoomed into that first picture, and I definitely see
the slit eye now (so it's definitely a rattler):

But, I'm having trouble identifying the pit; is this it?

From Wikipedia

What makes this group unique is that they all share a common
characteristic: a deep pit, or fossa, in the loreal area between the eye
and the nostril on either side of the head. These loreal pits are the
external openings to a pair of extremely sensitive infrared-detecting
organs, which in effect give the snakes a sixth sense to help them find
and perhaps even judge the size of the small, warm-blooded prey on which
they feed.[6]