Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Is this baby snake coiled up outside a gopher snake or a rattler?

On Jun 2, 2:51*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 14:13:02 -0700, Oren wrote:
Kill that snake RIGHT now. *Shoot it. *Rattlers can bite you

I try not to kill anything I don't have to; so I put it in a
spare blue bucket with a secure top, and will take it a
few acres away and let it go.
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13218972.jpg

Thanks for the identification help; when they're adults,
they're easier to tell (because of the rattle) but young
ones are harder (the rattle is smaller).

I've seen gopher snakes with similar markings (and a similar
fake rattle, but they have more slender heads and round eyes).

I still haven't gotten a good look at the eyes (slit vs
round) but I do agree the head shape could be pit viper.

Thanks.

DADD-

This is not a "could be a pit viper" situation.....
Are you going to play around until someone gets hurt?

btw.. it can still effectively strike even if the eyes are closed or
in darkness.... the special talent of pit vipers.

Ever heard of the "Sidewinder" (AIM-9) air to air missile?
There's a reason for that name.