Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Grounding Antenna Question

Phil Allison wrote:

"Humbled Survivor"

Can I ground out my outdoor FM antenna from the pole?

** Yep.

The pole needs to be linked to metal plumbing with a heavy gauge copper
wire.

Does the negative of the coaxial cable have to be grounded?

** If it is isolated by a "balun", then yep - it a good idea too.

Which method is best for preventing lightening strikes?

** Can I suggest you make your peace with god right now ??

... Phil

It's illegal to use a pipe for ground in the US. The joints corrode,
and are high resistance to ground after years of use. You had to
install a bonding jumper around a water meter, years ago when it was
legal.

Some fools have used the wrong pipe for natural gas, then another
fool assumed they were water lines and used them for a ground. The
results were explosive and sometimes fatal.

Water was run in galvanized pipe, and natural gas in black iron.
Today, both are installed in various types of plastic. Some very early
water lines were hollowed out oak, and coated with pitch.