Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Grounding Antenna Question

On 6/2/2013 7:39 AM, Jamie wrote:
Rich Webb wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 02:05:29 -0400, "Humbled Survivor"
wrote:

Can I ground out my outdoor FM antenna from the pole?

Does the negative of the coaxial cable have to be grounded?

Which method is best for preventing lightening strikes?

Ref: NEC 810.15, 810.20, 810.21

Both the antenna mast and the signal lead-in (via a listed antenna
discharge unit) should be grounded IAW the above sections.

But the provisions of the NEC are not to protect from direct lightning
strikes to an antenna - much more elaborate protection is required. They
can provide protection from other surge sources, like near strikes.

For best protection the ground from antenna line entry protectors must
connect with a short wire to the power earthing system. You want to
minimize the voltage between power and antenna wires.

Nothing prevents lightning strikes but the effects can be mitigated.

actually, grounding it will attract near by strikes, but what ever..

Not according to what I read.

THe emf pulse of a strike directly on a grounded mast will more than
likely cook the front end of what ever is connected to it and maybe
even jump around a bit.

Hams with high antennas routinely protect from direct strikes to their
antennas. The rest of us are not likely to install the protection hams
install. But most of us do not have antennas as exposed as some ham
antennas.