Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Grounding Antenna Question

Rich Webb wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 02:05:29 -0400, "Humbled Survivor"
wrote:

Can I ground out my outdoor FM antenna from the pole?

Does the negative of the coaxial cable have to be grounded?

Which method is best for preventing lightening strikes?

Ref: NEC 810.15, 810.20, 810.21

Both the antenna mast and the signal lead-in (via a listed antenna
discharge unit) should be grounded IAW the above sections.

Nothing prevents lightning strikes but the effects can be mitigated.

actually, grounding it will attract near by strikes, but what ever..

THe emf pulse of a strike directly on a grounded mast will more than
likely cook the front end of what ever is connected to it and maybe
even jump around a bit.

Jamie