Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Test fired 2nd AR-15

"RogerN" wrote in
m:

This week I received the parts kit, less stripped lower, that I
ordered 2/4/13, website said it would be at least 4 weeks, LOL.

I put the new upper on my 2nd lower and test fired it yesterday, all
went well. Jammed several times at first, kind of stiff.

I still haven't assembled my M-16 upper, just have to torque the
barrel and pin the gas tube, haven't bolted my vise down yet.

I'd like to make a homemade slide fire stock sometime. We've been
shooting and then locating the brass with a metal detector, getting
about time to run the progressive press for an hour or so.

The design of the ejector is a bit overkill in the AR-15. You can tone
it down a bit without any drop in reliability. Competitive shooters do
this all the time so they don't lose too much of their match brass. This
has to be done in conjunction with the extractor. If you have a stiff
extractor spring with an added o-ring, the ejector has to be strong
enough to overcome that, and it will throw the stuff all over.

I set up two "spacegun" AR's for competition that would dump all the
brass about 2 feet to the right & front of the shooter. I never had a
jam, with over a thousand rounds through each. My wife and I shoot
offhand matches pretty much exclusively, and we now don't shoot with an
ejector at all. It's all single shot with enough time to fish the case
out & put it back in the box. As long as you remember to grab it after
you've scoped & recorded each shot, you don't burn your fingers.

Doug White