Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

"You know nothing about what you talk about, either technically or
aesthetically. I've been involved with surround sound for 43 years, probably
longer than you've been alive. ..."

I've snipped correct or generally correct statements.

When I was a kid I discovered something, that when you connect a speaker
between the two hots (+ or red) of an amp you get the difference signal.
That is how the el cheapo method worked actually to get the rear channels
but they used a resistor to common to allow some of the L+R, but only a
portion of it. This does not work with amps that run the two channels out of
phase, but those are kinda rare.

This is called DynaQuad. It was first officially proposed by David Hafler. The
difference signal has a higher ratio of reflected-to-direct sound, so with the
speakers to the sides or rear, there is an enhancement of ambience.

Now they use OP AMPs pretty much for the basic surround.

Actually, matrixed surround is handled by DSP.

Digital delay is added for the effects like "hall", "auditorium" and so
forth. It is all in a chip but if you look back in the prints of older
equipment that used discrete components you can figure it out.

Figure out what?

Along came a guy named Bob Carver who tried to do some tricks with digital
delay and called it sonic holography. that baby was supposed to enhance the
stereo image by sending a "null echo" for lack of a better term, to the
opposite speaker. IIRC you were supposed to have them a certain distance
apart for this "magic" to work properly.

Sonic Holography did not use digital processing. I had one of them, and with
my own live recordings, the results were much closer to what I heard at the
mikes.

All junk as far as I am concerned. That is an opinion. In movies, the
effects and ambience are excessive to the point wherte you can hardly
understand the dialogue and you have to crank it to hear it, and then a car
blows up or something and it happens to be three AM. This annoys enough
people that the TV manufacturers started equipping TVs with audio
compressors, calling it "Smart Sound" or "Level Sound" or a few other names.

Not a valid opinion. When surround is used to record or synthesize hall
ambience, it is a huge improvement.

You made a mistake. I said I think stereo is it, and all this surround ****
is junk and you failed to realize that is an opinion. That is my opinion,
absolutely.

It might be an opinion, but it is verifiably an invalid opinion. Anyone who's
heard good surround knows otherwise -- because surround brings you
significantly closer to what you hear at a live performance.