Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

On Wed, 29 May 2013 15:28:34 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

If fuses blew on the amp, I'd not be in a hurry to start replacing them.
I'd probably disable channels in the surround decoder.

Chuckle. I have an old Heathkit AA-2010 quad channel amplifier.
http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/ca.html?ca=23000
I'm down to one channel now, as the other three have blown up over the
years. When the last channel dies, I'll probably fix it and start
over.

My ears are somewhat screwed up, so quad sound never did anything for
me. In the early 1970's, I attened an AES (Audio Engineering Society)
convention, where the hot topic was quadraphonic everything. I tried
on quad earphones and heard nothing interesting. I listened to a
serious discussion between "experts" over whether the listener wants
concert hall realism, which meant sitting in front of the orchestra in
stereo, or whether he wants to be "immersed" in the sound, which meant
sitting in the middle of the orchestra in quad. Meanwhile, the movie
theaters were having a bit of a problem with quad sound, which tended
to produce dead spots.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D