Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

"I'm confused. The PCM-F1 had 44.056kHz sampling when using an NTSC-format
video recorder. You could choose between 14-bit and 16-bit quantization,
though.
"
Been so damn long. It may be that the PCM-1 had that but it was dropped in the PCM-F1. I know it had a switch for better quality. It did not take more tape, but it made the recording incompatible. I kinda wondered incompatible with WHAT ? Hardly anyone had these things. But anyway, CD quality is not quite true sixteen bit, it is a bit faked and the reason for that is to get the minutes on a disk no more than the size they are. the other channels are irrelevant really, I just mentione that because not that many people know it, and they also do not know that most of the time their seven channels of sound are derived from two, or if lucky,three distinct channels, at least at the mixing board.

Don't get me wrong, the mixing board can show you and demonstrate as many channels as it wants, but that does not mmean you are getting that mant channels. You cannot have 99.5 FM on one and 1220 AM on the other, it doesn't work that way beyond two channels usually. It does sometimes, for ALOT of money, but most people only think they have that. Most of them just have two channels. You can have the fanciest surround sound reciever and nineteen speakers and all these modes like hall, auditorium, Folsom prison, my niggas car, the garage, but if all you input to that reciver is left and right there are only two channels. I know full well how they are matrixed and delayed and all that **** to "create" the rest. I did it myself a long time ago actually.

Those who really do run digital all the way to the amp might actually have more channels, but then not on all source material. HAHAHAHAH, you just can't win I guess.

And then, even with the "trigophonic" system i threw together when I was a kid, my Ma said "I only have two ears".

Now I do not do surround. I mean me. I'll put a million speakers in some asshole's house if he has the money, but for me it is strictly stereo. Two well placed speakers that sound good and the sound sounds like it is coming right from them, which it is, and the stereo imaging is in the hands of the recording engineer. And I hear it as he heard it. GTHAT is high fidelity, not this nineteen speaker unk of today.