Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Spray gun advice ...

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:13:01 PM UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
I have a project coming up later in the year, that will involve getting a

reasonably nice paint finish on some metal. Having a half-way decent

compressor, and spray guns being cheap, I though this might be an

opportunity to get a gun, and give it a go. Trouble is, I don't know what

sort of gun to go for.

As far as I can see, there seems to be two basic flavours : Suction feed,

and gravity feed. I'm inclined towards a gravity feed, just because it sort

of 'feels' right - not that I've ever actually held one, if you see what I

mean ... Also, I've seen Rick on American Restoration using one. Trouble

is, I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer from anyone on what

is the most appropriate use of each type. It always seems to be a bit of a

"Hmmm, well ... it depends, you see ..."

"Errr, yes ... ? On what exactly ...?"

Well, for some jobs one is better than the other, really ..."

"Errr, yes ... ? So which would you use for which sort of job ?"

"Well, it depends, really ... "

And so it goes on in ever decreasing circles :-\

So what's the story ? Is it just whatever feels comfortable, and there's not

a lot to choose between either basic type ? Looking at f'rinstance Toolsatan

they have 27117 and 55471, both suction and the second a tenner dearer than

the first, and then 70796 and 14021, both gravity feed, and again, the

second a tenner dearer than the first.

I am confused, Anyone with genuine experience care to enlighten me ? :-)

Arfa

I have an Earlex HVLP sprayer which I find easy to use as it has minimum controls. Less bounce back and misting also, in my hands anyway. I found, with compressor operated units, that by the time I had finished faffing about with pressures, air volume, nozzles etc I would have had the job done with a brush with less cleaning up to do when finished.