Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

I read that, and also most of the trqaining manual for the Sony
PCM-F1, the successor to the PCM-1. It had 48 KHz sampling
which made it better than CD quality.

I'm confused. The PCM-F1 had 44.056kHz sampling when using an NTSC-format
video recorder. You could choose between 14-bit and 16-bit quantization,
though.

In "Principles Of Digital Audio" the author wrote that CDs were
capable of four channel sound but it was never marketed.

CDs can have any number of channels, within the limit of how rapidly data can
be read from the disk.

There was a standard for four-channel recordings, in which the disk ran twice
as fast and had 1/2 the two-channel playing time. Unfortunately, there was no
backward compatibility -- the four-channel disks could not be played in
two-channel on regular players. So they were never made.

I bet hindsight is 20/20 and they wish they would have persued four-
channel CDs. Center and sub are easy, but this would be a real four
channel. Years ago.

At least we have SACD and Blu-ray audio. I'd promoted surround sound since
1970, and had to wait 30 years until a simple, not-horribly expensive system
became available (SACD). (I still have quad open-reel tapes and a deck to play
them on.)

One of the most-important factors in the development of the CD was
that it only be a certain diameter, so that in dash car units could be sold.

That wasn't the only consideration. Ease of handling and playing time were
also factors.

People used to watch TVs with bad CRTs and ****. Yup, the blue is gone,
or the red, or the otha one. They would still watch it.

Many years ago I was visiting friends in Delaware. I joined them to watch TV
with some of their friends. Their set was badly adjusted. I tweaked the
tracking, and they were amazed at the improvement. They thought I was some
kind of genius. (I am, but not when it comes to servicing color TVs.)