Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

I have the old Sony training manuals. Like the one where they explain why the pits on a CD are ¼ of a wavelength of light. This was before CDR.

I read that, and also most of the trqaining manual for the Sony PCM-F1, the successor to the PCM-1. It had 48 Khz sampling which made it better than CD quality.

I also read a book called "Principles Of Digital Audio" I think, and in it the author wrote that CDs were capable of four channel sound but it was never marketed, I guess because the quadrophinic phase was over. All this Dolby **** wasn't quite all there yet, although I do believe there were CDs during the release of THX1138 which borne the name for THX sound. Well they usaed it anyway.

I bet hindsight is 20/2o and they wish they would have persued four channel CDs. Center and sub are easy, but this would be a real four channel. Years ago.

Thinking logic here, that would probably half the playing time of a CD.

One of the most important factors in the development of the CD was that it only be a certain diameter, so that in dash car units could be sold. Create a need and fill it. Now there is already a car. Make players and sell disks. That is how successful business works.

I find it interesting sometimes to explore just why what happened. Why did Beta fail ? It didn't. It failed in the market. It was better and there is no doubt but average people didn't see the difference (if they were shown) and also wanted the longer recording time.

Things were different ?, the COMB filter ? People used to watch TVs with bad CRTs and ****. Yup, the blue is gone, or the red, or the otha one. They would still watch it. you know, I wonder if that has an impact on their phyche to any measurable degree. They paint some jails pink........