Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default First gear...

Trident is due to deliver a hunk of 3.5" dia 1144 bar to make the gears
I need from along with some other stuff on Wednesday, but this morning I
dug around my junk bins and found a puck of bronze large enough to do a
test gear.

It took a good amount of time to turn the blank, broach the
key way and otherwise prep. I cut the gear on the CNC with manual
indexing, two passes to rough and finish each tooth.

The 66 tooth gear I cut used one of the new dividing plates I made as
well.
Overall it went pretty smoothly and it appears that the gear is entirely
useable. I'll mount it up on the lathe tomorrow and give it a test run.

On the left is the factory 60T gear and the right is the newly cut 66T
gear:

http://wpnet.us/First_gear1.jpg
http://wpnet.us/First_gear2.jpg