Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Pool heat pump - How many BTUs?

On May 24, 5:19*am, wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 20:15:44 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

wrote:
It's not a purely electric heater. *It's a heat pump. *And
just like you can heat a home with them economically
in some parts of the country, apparently you can also
heat a pool. *It depends on what the options are and
what the cost of electricity is.

maybe he should just dump the heat from his house heat pump into the
pool (assuming that's how he cools the house) I know it won't provide
all the heat but it should provide some and at no additional cost other
than the initial set-up

I stop heating the pool before I turn on the A/C.
I suppose climate might change that

A lot of it would be down to the Coefficient of Performance of the
heat pump. X4 is typical but they have improved a lot lately.
I would have thought one that size would need three phase supply,
But whatever you do, you need to minimise losses (pool covers etc)
first so that the smallest possible plant is needed.