Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Pool heat pump - How many BTUs?

In article
,
" wrote:

On May 23, 9:57*pm, gonjah wrote:

In article ,
* wrote:

I'm thinking of installing a heat pump for my 15x30 pool.

I'm told that the correct unit for my needs (an Aquacal TropiCal) puts
out
112,000 BTUs (40 amps/5.8 KW). *I'm thinking that a larger unit that
puts out
141,000 BTUs (50 amps/6.4KW), would heat the pool quicker and require
less
time on, thus use, in theory, less electricity - but it's about $500
more
expensive than the small unit. *We'll probably only use the pool on the
weekends. *Not sure how long it will take to break even on this with
running
it for only a couple days per week.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions about this? *Is my thinking
skewed? *Is
it worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

paint pool a dark color and get a clear pool cover

use your existing system for additional input

The OP could get a solar blanket but they do tend to deteriorate quickly
in chlorine pools.

The last thing he should get is an electric pool heater unless he just
isn't concerned about money. I'm surprised they sell them and anyone
would buy one.

It's not a purely electric heater. It's a heat pump. And
just like you can heat a home with them economically
in some parts of the country, apparently you can also
heat a pool. It depends on what the options are and
what the cost of electricity is.

maybe he should just dump the heat from his house heat pump into the
pool (assuming that's how he cools the house) I know it won't provide
all the heat but it should provide some and at no additional cost other
than the initial set-up