Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)

On 22 May 2013 03:17:53 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-05-21, John B slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 10:34:30 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Right now, I'm not machining anything. I have to replace the belt on
my machine. Jim Rozen gave me some belt material but now I have to
decide how to join it. Do you have any glue recommendations? I can
make a clean scarf with no problem.

Wasn't there a recent thread about joining flat belts?

Anyway, we used to use hot animal glue - hoof and hide - to join flat
leather belts. The length of the scarf is covered (I think) in the
Machinery's Handbook but is several inches.

We normally used those patented splices that look like a row of
staples for most machines though.

And -- you can also lace them with leather and a bunch of holes.
The leather on the pulley side runs parallel to the belt edges, and that
on the other side runs diagonally between rows of holes. An old South
Bend _How to Run a Lathe_ manual used to cover that.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Yeah, that's my other option. You have to cut relief grooves in the
belt with a woodcarver's gouge, but it looks doable.

Skiving, though, is easier for me. So I'm going to try gluing.

--
Ed Huntress