Mark

Default Please help - illegal working in US

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Sure we do. The "scientist visa". Ask Linus Tovalds about it!

How many are issued every year? And, in any case, you have to be Linus
Torvalds to get one! We're talking here about the average Joe with a
college degree.

Yes and no. It's up to the Congress really. And yes "We the people... "
and all. However grass roots swell takes a long, long time. And you have
to have a movement.

You don't need a grass roots movement. You need common sense in the
politicians. But they prefer to turn an eye blind to illegal immigration
and close the border for the rest.

Well, sorry dude, from my point of view, US immigration system sucks.

As I said before, apparently the US does not feel it needs more
professionals from other countries.

Well, one way or another, they will. The baby-boomer generation is
about to retire, and that will create a huge number of professional jobs
to be filled. OTOH, a young professional immigrant that earns 60K per
year and pays taxes is always a greater benefit for the country than an
illegal that works underground and earns peanuts.

The US has become the only superpower because it knew how to atract the
brains. Remember all the European scientist that fled Europe before and
during the war. Well, it seems the US now prefers the muscle rather than
the brain. That might be the beginning of the decline of the US.

Indeed policy and public sentiment
seems to bear this out. Then again I work with a Canadian professional
who's here working and he says due to NAFTA it is easy for him to enter
the US for work.

I'd extent NAFTA to western Europe (and get rid of Mexico). Americans
would be welcome to come over and enjoy European food and lifestyle. And
the other way around. I'd like to drive a SUV and park it with ease.

-Mark