Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default slitting spring bronze

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:jKmdneOeHo7mYgbMnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d@scnresearch. com:

"SPARK RESISTANCE. A common misapplication of stainless steel is in
areas requiring non-sparking materials. Since stainless steels are
basically alloys of ..."

G Not a problem here, sir.

Yes, pretty much all stainless alloys spark when ground, and some spark
under impact, some don't.

But in this case, there are no impacts against the spring-stock possible,
and it's sheltered from any _serious_ contamination from the product
itself. Nor are the parts moving fast enough to cause the sort of
friction that would promote sparking (1rpm).

Yep... we deal with that issue every day, and most of our exposed parts
are 6061 and MIC-5/6 (or bronze, or zinc alloys, or tin alloys) because
of it.

LLoyd