Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)

On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:23:18 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
snip----

Right now, I'm not machining anything. I have to replace the belt on
my machine. Jim Rozen gave me some belt material but now I have to
decide how to join it. Do you have any glue recommendations? I can
make a clean scarf with no problem.

--
Ed Huntress

Sorry, no. I have nothing to offer. I've never been faced with that
problem, and have not been around the flat belt machines. Virtually all of
my experience has come in industry, where such machines were not found.

The only SB that I ever experienced was a 17" Turnado (geared head), which I
found to be borderline junk. It couldn't stand up to the rigors of the
production shop. Not trying to be rude, just reporting what I
experienced. There's a huge number of satisfied SB owners, I know.

Luck with the belt.

With those sticky materials that don't break well with HSS, a narrower and
deeper breaker can be the solution, but it's not easy hitting the perfect
balance, as a narrow breaker tends to trap the chip. I have a lot of
experience with HSS----I used it alongside brazed carbide and insert tooling
up to the day I closed the doors on my commercial (non CNC) shop. The
real negative is that it's not easy sharpening once installed in a setup,
unlike insert carbide. Registration is lost when the tool is removed for
sharpening. For CNC operations, it most likely wouldn't serve well at all,
but for the guy running manual machines, it really is a great solution to
machining. That, of course, depends on one's ability to fashion tools with
the correct geometry.

Harold

I have a lot of old brazed carbide tools, but sharpening them is a
problem and I rarely waste my time with them. I use carbide mostly for
turning fiberglass and other abrasive materials. When I'm building
fishing rods and making ferrules, I cut enough of it that HSS just
doesn't keep an edge.

However, I'll keep the narrow chip breaker in mind. And I'll keep
looking for a good glue for the belt.

Thanks, Harold.

--
Ed Huntress