Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Algebra Text?

On 21/05/2013 15:20, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 10:26:26 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

given a^2 + b^2 = c^2 where a,b,c are integers

I am actually not going to post the answer here and would ask that
anyone who does work it out do likewise. It is obvious once you see it.

[snip]

But it falls into my category of "trick" questions. I finally figured
it out, but I frown on using such gimmicky problems with students.

...Jim Thompson

I disagree. That one isn't a trick question at all. It is difficult to
find the solution under pressure in an interview but how someone goes
about trying is very informative as to their capabilities. You really
either see it pretty much instantly or you don't without playing around.

Anyone who could be a top grade mathematician is reckoned to get it.

If you want a trick question what is the next number in the series:

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 20, 22, 31, ?

Unhelpful hint - it isn't 42.

--
Regards,