Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default slitting spring bronze

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:bMGdneS7RfCm5wfMnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Then, make a "scrawker' out of a HSS or carbide lathe bit, or from a
Stanley or Exacto knife or whatever...

hey...
I want to thank you for that. As I said, I'd made one of those for
scoring plastics - oh... - about 40 years ago, and use it frequently.

But for some reason, it did not come to mind.

We have a lot of use for that spring bronze for other, smaller contacts
and bond straps for vibrating stuff. We've been cutting little pieces
with shears and cleaning up the edges with a file and fine-grit carbo.

The 'scrawker' (as you call it -- probably because of the sound it makes
in plastic??) peels up a PERFECT little curl for the entire length of the
cut. Six or seven firm passes is all it takes to snap off a piece, and
it only takes the fine paper dressing to finish it up.

I still don't think we have the patience or space to score 80" strips
(problem likely solved tomorrow, anyway), but it sure works a treat on
stuff a foot or less long!

Thanks!
LLoyd