Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default slitting spring bronze

On 5/20/2013 13:09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ok, 'solutions guys'...

I have some 0.010" phosphor bronze (spring temper) in rolls 6" wide x
80" long.

I need to cleanly slit some 3/8" strips x 80" from this without any edge
distortion.

We tried taking one a sheet metal house that had a long scissor-type
shear, and it cut it, but also curled the edge too much for our
application. It has to wind flat in a coil when finished.

I've tried sheet metal hand shears without much joy, a nibbler just chews
it, and sawing it on anything we've got is impossible.

We must not heat it. Also cost is an issue, or I'd have it done at a
waterjet and laser house down the road, but they want a couple-hundred
just to set up a job. For only five strips, that's not in budget.

A virgin roll has perfect edges, and rolls tightly. The mill that makes
the rolls from larger sheet stock cannot go narrower than 1".

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lloyd

Reading further down for the intended use, how about stainless shim
stock? Comes in various thickness, in 1/2" wide rolls. Probably can even
find blue temper spring steel in the same geometry.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)