Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default slitting spring bronze

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
:

Can you run that through a pair of rollers to flatten it out? It
could even start the curve for the coil you want to make.

I guess I could find a roller. The sheared edge was also rough. We'd
have to dress it after flattening.

And we do not want it pre-curved. The purpose here is to keep it under
tension so that when it un-winds a little (about one turn on a 2.5" hub),
it stays flat-wound and self-supporting.

It's for a grounding strap on a rotary table. The table can only rotate
355 degrees, but house rules don't allow "wiper" type ground bonds in
this kind of environment. 'Has to be metal-to-metal and bonded with a
bolt.

The length of 80" was selected (stock sizes, so you picks what they
carries) because that allows the strip to unwind a minimal amount in
diameter with an approximately 10" length change.

You can't use a flat, tinned copper braid for a ground strap?

http://products.conwire.com/item/flat-tinned-copper-braid-2/flat-tinned-copper-braid/1393?&plpver=1001&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0

I tin the ends and drill a hole through the now solid area. I use RMA
flux, and clean it well but you can also crimp a lug on each end.