Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default slitting spring bronze

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
Ok, 'solutions guys'...

I have some 0.010" phosphor bronze (spring temper) in rolls 6" wide x
80" long.

I need to cleanly slit some 3/8" strips x 80" from this without any edge
distortion.

We tried taking one a sheet metal house that had a long scissor-type
shear, and it cut it, but also curled the edge too much for our
application. It has to wind flat in a coil when finished.

I've tried sheet metal hand shears without much joy, a nibbler just chews
it, and sawing it on anything we've got is impossible.

We must not heat it. Also cost is an issue, or I'd have it done at a
waterjet and laser house down the road, but they want a couple-hundred
just to set up a job. For only five strips, that's not in budget.

A virgin roll has perfect edges, and rolls tightly. The mill that makes
the rolls from larger sheet stock cannot go narrower than 1".

Any ideas?

Clamp it firmly between a couple lengths of rectangular flat bar, the bottom bar should be 6in wide, use whatever you have on hand for the top bar, which will be used mostly as a guide.

Then, make a "scrawker' out of a HSS or carbide lathe bit, or from a Stanley or Exacto knife or whatever...

--it should only take a few passes to score .010 brass deep enough to snap off easily

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...7pig KyooHACA

Otherwise, wrapping it around something and clamping it, perhaps with a two or three "Ideal" type hose clamp and then parting off on a lathe may work well also...be sure and clamp both the main coil AND the coil that you're parting off, otherwise you'll be in for a big surprprise.