Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default slitting spring bronze

. 3.70...
"Paul K. Dickman" fired this volley in
:

Try scoring it with a razor knife or one of those hooked blades you
use to score Plexiglas.

I have found that, once you have a score line, spring bronze tears
pretty easy in the direction of the grain.

There's an idea we haven't tried. We thought of scoring it, but also
thought the way to break the score would be by brake-bending... never
thought of _tearing_ it. Hmmm...

Now I've got to figure out if the grain runs the long way on this
material.

LLoyd

you can usually flex it enough between your fingers to start the tear then
follow it down.
You will probably have to coil it up and rub the cut edges on some 220 grit
sandpaper. The edge will be dangerous.

I can pretty much guarantee that the grain runs the long way. It would take
some serious rollers to squeeze an 80" wide sheet down to .010 spring hard.

The next guess would be to use a rotary shear. You can adjust the blades
close enough that there is zero clearance, but feeding 80" would be a pain
in the ass.

Paul K. Dickman