Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default slitting spring bronze

In article ,
Ed Huntress wrote:

If you can roll it up, you have a candidate for a reasonably-priced
wire EDM job.

That makes me wonder if a wire saw would also work, assuming it was
appropriately immobilized (would casting the roll in machinable wax or
one of the low-temp fixturing alloys (eg, woods metal) be too hot? Would
the fixturing alloys contaminate it? I don't know...just thinking about
ways to take the flex out of it for a clean cut.)

I wonder if putting it inside a pipe or bored hole and letting its own
spring tension do most of the clamping would be best - then you could
cut off a section of pipe with a section of spring-bronze rolled up in
it, and it would not be (quite) as prone to uncoiling as you cut. I
still suspect that some additional immobilization (such as wax casting)
would reduce Murphy's access to the process.