Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default slitting spring bronze

On Mon, 20 May 2013 12:36:54 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:519a5c14$0
:

Can you roll it up on some sacrificial form (dowel?), secure it (hose
clamps?) and then cut it with a slitting saw in a mill?

Yeah, perhaps. That was one thought that already came to mind, but I
don't have any experience sawing that stuff (it's tougher than a cypress
heart). It's also thin, so I'm not sure we aren't going to end up
snagging and lifting layers, even if we cut in climb.

But that's one idea certainly on the table (so to speak).

Maybe the same idea coupled with the abrasive wheel in the prior
suggestion???

Lloyd

If you can roll it up, you have a candidate for a reasonably-priced
wire EDM job.

It should be neat, but be aware that there may be a wire-breakage
problem from the intermittant conductivity. Maybe, maybe not. If the
EDM operator knows his stuff, he should be able to do it without a
problem.

Setup would be minimal.

--
Ed Huntress