Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Bowl blanks dipped in wax

On Sun, 19 May 2013 07:39:18 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Mac Davis wrote:
A friend gave me several bowl blanks that she'd bought online... They
are all dipped in wax, as opposed to the ends coated...

I turned on and it was very green and wet... Cracked as I was tuning
it!

I'm considering scraping the wax off of everything but the ends, to
let it dry normally, any reason that I shouldn't??

I'm thinking that completely sealed in wax, they'll never dry, am I
wrong here?

Is she cute?

I would scrape as you mentioned. Are they really dipped or just
painted with end sealer? Dipped, they will never dry. On wood that
is prone to cracking, I often end seal the rough turned bowls and some
still crack.

Yeah, these are dipped in what feels like paraffin... Totally
sealed...
I'm an Armorseal user, but only on end grain...

Thanks.. good advice, as usual, my friend...