Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Disappointing news; Baltimore Area (Towson) Woodcraft is closing

wrote:
On May 19, 11:31 am, -MIKE- wrote:

One of the problems with both of these stores is they can't cater to
both their target audiences. In this thread, they've been called a
hobbyist store. I tend to agree with that except that they do offer
very professional products. I see their main issue being, trying to
treat the hobbyist like a professional and treating the professional
like a hobbyist.

They are trying to sell professional tools to hobbyists with the
guise that it will make them professionals. When a professional
comes in, he gets treated like a hobbyist.

I think that boils it all down nicely. That has certainly been my
experience.

I only deal with two types of vendors. First, HD/Lowe's/and a lumber
yard or two. Most of their employees don't know what they are
selling, what it is used for, much less how to use it. So they are of
no value to me. They must pay the occasional experienced, guy in the
different departments very little as I seem them infrequently. One in
ten trips (less sometimes) I find a guy that is a gold mine, but it is
like diving for pearls.

The other opposite of the extreme is my all contractor vendors. If
you don't know what you want, they will help you make a decision on
product, material or a tool as long as you are close to knowing
exactly what you want, but nothing more.

Invariably, our local WC has polite employees, but they don't have
much product knowledge and get nervous when you press them for
detailed information. Rarely have any of the employees used more than
one or two of the tools that is outside their favorite part of a
woodworking hobby.

Like I said, a tough nut to crack. As with all employers, we all
wonder how the the talent pool changed so much over the years. I know
there are a lot of great guys out there to hire, but like most of us,
I don't know where they are.

So... that, as well as other commentary, causes me to wonder. Mind you -
I'm not criticizing your thoughts or the contributions of others, but I do
see this recurring theme where folks here seem to expect retail help to be
as knowledgable as they are, or perhaps even more. What's worse is when I
read a post from a guy who loves to criticize the retail help for not
knowing a particularr piece of equipment or a particular piece of knowledge
that the poster knows. Makes me scream inside - So What! It's like it's
some ego trip for the rec woodworker to be able to blabber about someone who
does not know what he does. Again - I'm not criticizing your comments
above - they just got me to thinking... maybe beyond what you were
commenting on. Consider your comments to have been a springboard for my
thoughts.

If rec woodworkers are so smart, they don't need that help from the retail
help. So - why **** and moan about it? (again... not pointed at your
comments Robert). Why not just accept that the retail guy is supposed to
know where his product is and how to get it into your hands.

Argh... I'm getting on a soapbox so I'll just get off now...

Thanks for letting me up there all the same.

--

-Mike-