Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)

On Sun, 19 May 2013 13:20:50 -0500, Ignoramus17710

On 2013-05-19, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 01:19:19 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Ignoramus12664" wrote in message

I finally got around and re-adjusted the clutch on the Clausing 6913
lathe. (13x48). The clutch was previously slipping and I could only
make the lightest of cuts.

Now, the clutch no longer slips when engaged, and can still be
disengaged, and I can take much heavier cuts. And what I like the most
is that I can again use power feed.

The problem I had with one piece of metal, is that when I cut it with
power feed and a carbide insert, it would make an endless chip, that
warps and gets everywhere, and it seems to be unsafe. How can I ensure
that this chip breaks?

My experience agrees with Harold's response. I had long chips even with a
chip breaker, I increased the feed per revolution, the chips broke, IIRC I
was feeding over 0.010" per revolution, maybe closer to 0.020". I had short
blue chips and the finish looked good.

RogerN

I often use HSS or brazed carbide with no chipbreaker. And slow feeds
so it wouldn't help anyway. Hope nobody cringes but I use a
screwdriver to pull out nests as it runs. I have had the screwdriver
snatched out of my hands and rapidly tossed accross the room more than
once.

I do use carbide inserts for heavy ruffing cuts and get it to run "9"
shape chips.

Karl

i hate to admit to the same thing

I use a bit of rod with an L bent into one end..and a 18" length.
Takes longer to pull me into the work.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."