Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)

On Sat, 18 May 2013 20:38:30 -0500, Ignoramus12664
wrote:

I finally got around and re-adjusted the clutch on the Clausing 6913
lathe. (13x48). The clutch was previously slipping and I could only
make the lightest of cuts.

Now, the clutch no longer slips when engaged, and can still be
disengaged, and I can take much heavier cuts. And what I like the most
is that I can again use power feed.

The problem I had with one piece of metal, is that when I cut it with
power feed and a carbide insert, it would make an endless chip, that
warps and gets everywhere, and it seems to be unsafe. How can I ensure
that this chip breaks?

Err... Iggy, you need to read up on "Chip Breakers" as applied to
lathe tools.

But I confess that the first time I did any extensive stainless
turning I did the same thing - ran off a 12 ft., light brown, chip
before I could get at the Big Red Button :-)
An old boy named Smith wandered over and commented, "Looks as though
you might need to grind a chip breaker on that tool", and than showed
me how to grind one :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.