Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)

Ignoramus12664 on Sat, 18 May
2013 20:38:30 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I finally got around and re-adjusted the clutch on the Clausing 6913
lathe. (13x48). The clutch was previously slipping and I could only
make the lightest of cuts.

Now, the clutch no longer slips when engaged, and can still be
disengaged, and I can take much heavier cuts. And what I like the most
is that I can again use power feed.

The problem I had with one piece of metal, is that when I cut it with
power feed and a carbide insert, it would make an endless chip, that
warps and gets everywhere, and it seems to be unsafe. How can I ensure
that this chip breaks?

Get a chip breaker - it either is a configuration "built" into the
index, or is an additional "fiddly bit" on plain inserts.

Long "chips" are bad news. Even if they don't snag you - well,
the rule for getting them out of the way is "don't!" Use pliers or a
tool - dat stuff will cut gloves real fast, too.
While it is true that if you have found one end of such a chip,
there is ha high probability that there is another end; otoh, there is
no promise that you can pull it loose unless you can actually _see_
the other end.
Of course, that assumes that you are not grabbing it while the
machine is turning.

tschus
pyotr

OT3H, have friends who claimed they got everything so dialed in, the
chip went up, over and into a bin. No clean up needed.
--
pyotr filipivich