Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)

"Ignoramus12664" wrote in message
I finally got around and re-adjusted the clutch on the Clausing 6913
lathe. (13x48). The clutch was previously slipping and I could only
make the lightest of cuts.

Now, the clutch no longer slips when engaged, and can still be
disengaged, and I can take much heavier cuts. And what I like the most
is that I can again use power feed.

The problem I had with one piece of metal, is that when I cut it with
power feed and a carbide insert, it would make an endless chip, that
warps and gets everywhere, and it seems to be unsafe. How can I ensure
that this chip breaks?

Chip breakers rely on a given amount of feed in order to function properly.
Rule of thumb is to increase feed when a chip doesn't break.
Do not expect a chip breaker to function with light feeds, or shallow depths
of cut.

Harold