Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default The shape of things to come ... ?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
So the week got off to a great start. I've got a Dual CS505-3 phono
deck
on the bench. It all works hunky-dory, except it's a bit slow. This is
because the pitch belt has snapped. So I'm pulling a new one into
place,
and the pliers catch the flat leaf spring that couples the speed
select
knob to the belt shifting lever. It only holds in there because it's
bent
and under tension. And of course, it detaches and flies ...

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough
burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

So now, I've got a deck that is 33 or 45 rpm only, depending on where
you
leave the belt shift lever set. I've sent an email to the company
responsible for Dual products in Germany, pleading for them to help me
out with a replacement, but I'm not holding my breath. About the only
other alternative is to try and fabricate one. I've spotted an old
octal
based relay where the moving contact fingers look big enough, but the
length is absolutely critical to get the right spring 'snap' action of
course, and I don't think it is going to be easy to achieve that ...

Don'cha just HATE it when **** like this happens :-\

Arfa

Yep, shapes of things..

It seems to me that when I was younger, my ears could tell me almost
exactly where a flying part landed, without even turning my head.. like
bat sense.
Maybe the parts were bigger then.

Seriously though, parts in recent electronic gear have gotten so small
it's absurd, and their means of retention is insane.

I've found some very small items with the bright light beam parallel to
the floor method.. it's a reliable method if the missing piece is on
the
floor and the floor isn't covered with dust and debris.
A good 1W or better LED flashlight with a good reflector for a fairly
tight beam works well.

I have a telescoping magnetic parts reclaimer for steel parts which
also
has an LED light on the end, works on steel parts that are out of
reach,
and in the dark places between stuff you'd prefer not to move, under
stuff
etc.
Otherwise, an old speaker magnet or newer high power magnet on a stick,
like sweeping for mines.. sometimes you can hear the click, when the
part
jumps to the magnet.

It's often fairly easy to determine which parts are likely to and
capable
of flying great distances at a very fast rate of speed.
Using a cover over the area will restrain flying part from exiting the
realm of one's attention span.

Build a 3-sided booth with an enclosed top, lined with sticky
rodent/insect trap material.
Strong magnetic panels, same booth style.

Very high speed video of the work area and "all ya gotta do is" play
back
in slow motion.

--
Cheers,
WB

Sadly, although it's not been too long since I last ran the vacuum
cleaner
over the floor, I reckon if I start looking with a magnet, just the noise
of
all the stuff hitting it, is gonna deafen me ... :-)

Then pick up the cast iron skillets, steam radiators and engine
blocks before you start with the magnet. ;-)

You need one of these, and to use it often:

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-inch-mini-magnetic-sweeper-98398.html

You better pick me one up and ship it over then ! :-)

Arfa