Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default The shape of things to come ... ?

So the week got off to a great start. I've got a Dual CS505-3 phono deck on
the bench. It all works hunky-dory, except it's a bit slow. This is because
the pitch belt has snapped. So I'm pulling a new one into place, and the
pliers catch the flat leaf spring that couples the speed select knob to the
belt shifting lever. It only holds in there because it's bent and under
tension. And of course, it detaches and flies ...

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to
burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

So now, I've got a deck that is 33 or 45 rpm only, depending on where you
leave the belt shift lever set. I've sent an email to the company
responsible for Dual products in Germany, pleading for them to help me out
with a replacement, but I'm not holding my breath. About the only other
alternative is to try and fabricate one. I've spotted an old octal based
relay where the moving contact fingers look big enough, but the length is
absolutely critical to get the right spring 'snap' action of course, and I
don't think it is going to be easy to achieve that ...

Don'cha just HATE it when **** like this happens :-\

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

I've always found Dual models annoying. Prefer Japanese models for the most
part.

mz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

not sure about your spring, but lots of weird dual parts turn up on ebay.

I had a c-clip fly away not long ago, so I ordered a new one, that was the
wrong size, then a week later the original one appeared again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Grab a cheap feeler gauge set and trim one leaf to fit.

tm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

[...]

If you lose some ittybitty item on the floor, get a vacuum cleaner,
with a clean dustbin, and clean th floor.
That way I found a 2mm screw again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 13, 10:59*pm, Sjouke Burry s@b wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote :

[...]

That way I found a 2mm screw again.- Hide quoted text -

A nylon stocking over the inlet to trap the spring piece makes it
easier to find. Also, did you look on top of things, it may not have
landed on the floor.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 21:11:44 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Also, did you look on top of things, it may not have
landed on the floor.

Chuckle. On Saturday, I was installing an Avaya phone switch, when I
dropped one of the odd shaped mounting screws. I used every trick I
could think of to find the screw, but it refused to appear. After
literally nailing the switch to the wall with a nail, the screw
magically reappeared on top of a nearby desk. A visitor to the office
had spotted it on the carpet, placed it on the desk so that I wouldn't
miss it, and then left without telling anyone. I hate helpful people.

One trick that I use on smooth floors is to turn off the room lights,
and use a flashlight parallel to the floor to cast a shadow. Even the
smallest screws cast a long shadow with this method.

Also, I have a magnet on a wooden pole if it happens to be a steel
screw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-magnetic-pickup-tool-42288.html

However, the best way is to enlist any available small kids to help
with the search. They're not fast or efficient, but they have better
eyes than me.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann forklarede:

However, the best way is to enlist any available small kids to help
with the search. They're not fast or efficient, but they have better
eyes than me.

That requires the availability of small kids.

Going to the streets to aquire small kids for screw-related problems
might lead to unpleasent experiences.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:44:38 PM UTC-4, Arfa Daily wrote:

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to

burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

It might be, but it might be something else. My brother always figured that tiny objects, when they fly off into space, such as your spring, c-clips, tiny screws, etc., actually are right there where they landed. However, while they are in the correct physical plane, they are in the wrong temporal plane. In time, they will often reappear right where they were believed to be in the first place.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yep, shapes of things..

It seems to me that when I was younger, my ears could tell me almost exactly
where a flying part landed, without even turning my head.. like a bat sense.
Maybe the parts were bigger then.

Seriously though, parts in recent electronic gear have gotten so small it's
absurd, and their means of retention is insane.

I've found some very small items with the bright light beam parallel to the
floor method.. it's a reliable method if the missing piece is on the floor
and the floor isn't covered with dust and debris.
A good 1W or better LED flashlight with a good reflector for a fairly tight
beam works well.

I have a telescoping magnetic parts reclaimer for steel parts which also has
an LED light on the end, works on steel parts that are out of reach, and in
the dark places between stuff you'd prefer not to move, under stuff etc.
Otherwise, an old speaker magnet or newer high power magnet on a stick, like
sweeping for mines.. sometimes you can hear the click, when the part jumps
to the magnet.

It's often fairly easy to determine which parts are likely to and capable of
flying great distances at a very fast rate of speed.
Using a cover over the area will restrain flying part from exiting the realm
of one's attention span.

Build a 3-sided booth with an enclosed top, lined with sticky rodent/insect
trap material.
Strong magnetic panels, same booth style.

Very high speed video of the work area and "all ya gotta do is" play back in
slow motion.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sjouke Burry wrote:

If you lose some ittybitty item on the floor, get a vacuum cleaner,
with a clean dustbin, and clean th floor.
That way I found a 2mm screw again.

The spring may be magnetic, sweep the floor with a
magnet salvaged out of a loudspeaker or hard drive, you will
likely find it.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"tm" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

I'm currently looking at contact sets from relays.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote in message
[...]

I've looked everywhere. As it happens, the workshop floor isn't actually all
that bad at the moment. I used one of those outdoor 500 watt halogen lights
today, but still no sign of it. The thing is, the plastic dust cover from
the deck was leaning against the bench leg just to one side of me, and I
heard it hit that, so the fact that it is springy in itself, coupled to the
fact that it hit a large area of plastic, and was probably travelling at
some speed because it had 'popped' from a location where it was under
tension, means that it could have gone just about anywhere, and it's quite a
big workshop with a lot of stuff in it ... :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Number one daughter is very good at this, She has what she calls 'pecan
eyes' Don't ask. It's a long story, and actually quite funny, but she comes
out with a lot of this stuff. We call them Liz-isms. 'Lion steaks' is
another ...

She'll probably be round tomorrow. I might get her on the job. Had to call
the shop today to put them in the picture, and to tell them to stall the
customer with a "waiting for parts, sir" excuse if he calls asking after a
progress report ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John-Del" wrote in message
On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:44:38 PM UTC-4, Arfa Daily wrote:

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to

burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

It might be, but it might be something else. My brother always figured
that tiny objects, when they fly off into space, such as your spring,
c-clips, tiny screws, etc., actually are right there where they landed.
However, while they are in the correct physical plane, they are in the
wrong temporal plane. In time, they will often reappear right where they
were believed to be in the first place.

How strange ! I used to have a very similar 'tongue in cheek' theory as well
several years ago. I used to believe that all of the faulty electrons flying
about in workshops, caused tiny little molecular warp holes to appear in the
floor, which if left alone, would slowly 'breed' downwards, following a
curve as they got deeper, until as they became horizontal, they suddenly
shot back up to form a fully stable warp tunnel that often as not, would
come up somewhere dark or under a table leg. Components and other important
bits (like my spring) are attracted to them, and as they fall into the hole,
it closes behind them. The item is then 'conveyed' through the warp hole
until it emerges under the table leg, never to be found again, until years
later when you move the table. And that, I think, is what has happened to my
spring ... d ;-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Sadly, although it's not been too long since I last ran the vacuum cleaner
over the floor, I reckon if I start looking with a magnet, just the noise of
all the stuff hitting it, is gonna deafen me ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 14, 7:57*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

I lost a small screw tonight somewhere in my 20' x 10' workshop. I
figure I will surf the internet for a while and then go looking
again. Just the act of leaving and then coming back sometimes makes
things reappear where I least expect them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del wrote in message
On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:44:38 PM UTC-4, Arfa Daily wrote:

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to

burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

It might be, but it might be something else. My brother always figured that
tiny objects, when they fly off into space, such as your spring, c-clips,
tiny screws, etc., actually are right there where they landed. However,
while they are in the correct physical plane, they are in the wrong temporal
plane. In time, they will often reappear right where they were believed to
be in the first place.

+++++++++++
while on the meta-physical
I want to know why is it , when you actually catch sight of the thing flying
off , its never anywhere near where that projected-on trajectory would make
it land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

John-Del wrote in message
On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:44:38 PM UTC-4, Arfa Daily wrote:

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to

burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

It might be, but it might be something else. My brother always figured that
tiny objects, when they fly off into space, such as your spring, c-clips,
tiny screws, etc., actually are right there where they landed. However,
while they are in the correct physical plane, they are in the wrong temporal
plane. In time, they will often reappear right where they were believed to
be in the first place.

+++++++++++
while on the meta-physical
I want to know why is it , when you actually catch sight of the thing flying
off , its never anywhere near where that projected-on trajectory would make
it land.

I'll bet that you're bad at playing pool, too.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Then pick up the cast iron skillets, steam radiators and engine
blocks before you start with the magnet. ;-)

You need one of these, and to use it often:

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-inch-mini-magnetic-sweeper-98398.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
m...

N_Cook wrote:

John-Del wrote in message
[...]

Probably an eye-brain thing. Something moving fast outwards, in peripheral
vision
at 3 o'clock is interpreted by the brain as being at 5 o'clock, say. I'll
have to
take notes the next time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Only one problem with the magnet theory. The part may well be stainless.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Inscribed thus:

Only one problem with the magnet theory. The part may well be
stainless.

Some stainless steels are attracted to a magnet !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Some stainless steels are attracted to a magnet!

True. And an AC electromagnet (such as bulk tape eraser) sort of repels
non-ferrous metals. The sound of the part banging against the eraser might
help you find it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
John-Del wrote in message
[...]

I think that it is actually worse than that. I have watched items actually
touch down, but when you reach for the place that you absolutely know that
they landed, they are nowhere to be found. The likelihood of ever finding
them is directly proportional to the obscurity of the part, multiplied by
its availability as a spare ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

You better pick me one up and ship it over then ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2013 02:05:53 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Depends on the series. 400 series is magnetic. 300 series isn't. Or the
other way round, Can't remember now. Anyway, knives are made from the one
that is magnetic, and so they still stick to magnetic knife racks.

400 series is magnetic.
300 series is non-magnetic.
http://www.pencomsf.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/TB_MAG_SS.pdf

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 14 May 2013 01:44:38 +0100 in sci.electronics.repair, "Arfa
Daily" wrote,
pliers catch the flat leaf spring that couples the speed select knob to the
belt shifting lever. It only holds in there because it's bent and under
tension. And of course, it detaches and flies ...

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to
burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

Sweep with big magnet. Include floor not under the light.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wild_Bill wrote:
Build a 3-sided booth with an enclosed top, lined with sticky rodent/
insect trap material.
Strong magnetic panels, same booth style.

I keep thinking of something sort of like a shower stall but with no
plumbing. Totally smooth walls, some part of them transparent, with
millions of lumens of lighting behind them. There has to be a door to
get in, but when you close it behind you, it fits so closely to the wall
that you can't see the gap. (Reference the sphere that drops through
the rings of the machine in the movie "Contact".)

You go into this room or booth when you want to take something apart
that you suspect has tiny parts, or parts under thousands of pounds
of spring force. No matter where the part goes, it has to be
*somewhere* in the booth.

There are probably some thermal issues with it, though. (Humans
radiate a fair amount of heat.)

Very high speed video of the work area and "all ya gotta do is" play
back in slow motion.

When I first thought up that booth, this would have been insanely
expensive. Now it's down to just really expensive.

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

-------------------------

My brother was a lapidarist. Whenever a gem flew off the dopstick while
being worked on the wheel, he would find a similar sized and weighted stone
and recreate the trajectory while watching carefully and he always would
seem to find them both within a meter or two.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

I think that it is actually worse than that. I have watched items actually
touch down, but when you reach for the place that you absolutely know that
they landed, they are nowhere to be found. The likelihood of ever finding
them is directly proportional to the obscurity of the part, multiplied by
its availability as a spare ...

Or how long it takes to get another from stock. That's why I just
take the drawers from the parts cabinet to the bench.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

Ideal to avoid little bits ending up inside turnups , pockets, etc and also
avoid loose clothing catching on just the wrong sub-part , you could then
work in the nude.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are those enclosures for handling hazardous materials or a
sand/beadblast cabinet could be utilized and those even have an outlet tube
for recycling the media. That's where the paper cup would be placed to catch
the miniature part(s).

Fairly often, when I can't find a particular item, it suddenly appears when
I start looking for something different.

--
Cheers,
WB

wrote in message ...
Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You need one of these, and to use it often:

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-inch-mini-magnetic-sweeper-98398.html

You better pick me one up and ship it over then ! :-)

I will, if you can't find one locally. I think they will ship
directly to you but if they won't, I can try to get one to you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2013 15:05:17 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

... you could then work in the nude.

Not recommended if you're soldering with a 125W Weller gun
on Olde Tyme Equipment. BTDT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

I assume people following this thread know of this circlip tip. Rarely loose
one on removal as you can trap in the fingers. To avoid it springing off on
fixing back the circlip , tie a piece of cotton to it and anchor it to
something, before replacing the circlip

Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles! jasmine shen UK diy 0 August 8th 10 11:42 AM
How would you cut this shape? RicodJour Woodworking 6 March 19th 06 05:47 PM
Die Shape Question Name Metalworking 2 January 30th 06 05:03 PM
How to shape a daggerboard? Toller Woodworking 15 September 26th 05 08:56 PM
When to shape and when to route? Ollie Woodworking 12 March 3rd 05 12:39 PM