Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:34:43 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

Don't think I've actually done that and made a mess but I've certainly
got very close. Like replacing bucket used to catch the trap water under
the sink, rinsing the trap, going to empty bucket...

Cutting through the rising main before the inside stopcock was
interesting. In mitigation the "builders" who refurbished this place had
run it through that copper coloured plastic waste pipe through the floor
slab but at a shallow angle. This "waste" pipe didn't appear to go
anywhere it wasn't connected to the sink, and didn't appear the other
side of the units. It was in the way... Hacksaw out, cutting through
nicely, phsssstttt, and water appears in the cut. Fortunately I'd found
the outside stop cock and obtained a key a week or two before (it's
twenty yards down the road in the verge normally buried under grass). It
was only a small cut and inside the "waste" pipe so water wasn't spraying
everywhere for the few minutes it took to get the water turned off.

--
Cheers
Dave.