Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default The shape of things to come ... ?

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 May 2013 21:11:44 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Also, did you look on top of things, it may not have
landed on the floor.

Chuckle. On Saturday, I was installing an Avaya phone switch, when I
dropped one of the odd shaped mounting screws. I used every trick I
could think of to find the screw, but it refused to appear. After
literally nailing the switch to the wall with a nail, the screw
magically reappeared on top of a nearby desk. A visitor to the office
had spotted it on the carpet, placed it on the desk so that I wouldn't
miss it, and then left without telling anyone. I hate helpful people.

One trick that I use on smooth floors is to turn off the room lights,
and use a flashlight parallel to the floor to cast a shadow. Even the
smallest screws cast a long shadow with this method.

Also, I have a magnet on a wooden pole if it happens to be a steel
screw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-magnetic-pickup-tool-42288.html

However, the best way is to enlist any available small kids to help
with the search. They're not fast or efficient, but they have better
eyes than me.

Number one daughter is very good at this, She has what she calls 'pecan
eyes' Don't ask. It's a long story, and actually quite funny, but she comes
out with a lot of this stuff. We call them Liz-isms. 'Lion steaks' is
another ...

She'll probably be round tomorrow. I might get her on the job. Had to call
the shop today to put them in the picture, and to tell them to stall the
customer with a "waiting for parts, sir" excuse if he calls asking after a
progress report ...

Arfa