Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default The shape of things to come ... ?

" wrote in message
On May 13, 10:59 pm, Sjouke Burry s@b wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote
:

So the week got off to a great start. I've got a Dual CS505-3 phono
deck on the bench. It all works hunky-dory, except it's a bit slow.
This is because the pitch belt has snapped. So I'm pulling a new one
into place, and the pliers catch the flat leaf spring that couples the
speed select knob to the belt shifting lever. It only holds in there
because it's bent and under tension. And of course, it detaches and
flies ...

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough
to burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

So now, I've got a deck that is 33 or 45 rpm only, depending on where
you leave the belt shift lever set. I've sent an email to the company
responsible for Dual products in Germany, pleading for them to help me
out with a replacement, but I'm not holding my breath. About the only
other alternative is to try and fabricate one. I've spotted an old
octal based relay where the moving contact fingers look big enough,
but the length is absolutely critical to get the right spring 'snap'
action of course, and I don't think it is going to be easy to achieve
that ...

Don'cha just HATE it when **** like this happens :-\

Arfa

If you lose some ittybitty item on the floor, get a vacuum cleaner,
with a clean dustbin, and clean th floor.
That way I found a 2mm screw again.- Hide quoted text -

A nylon stocking over the inlet to trap the spring piece makes it
easier to find. Also, did you look on top of things, it may not have
landed on the floor.

I've looked everywhere. As it happens, the workshop floor isn't actually all
that bad at the moment. I used one of those outdoor 500 watt halogen lights
today, but still no sign of it. The thing is, the plastic dust cover from
the deck was leaning against the bench leg just to one side of me, and I
heard it hit that, so the fact that it is springy in itself, coupled to the
fact that it hit a large area of plastic, and was probably travelling at
some speed because it had 'popped' from a location where it was under
tension, means that it could have gone just about anywhere, and it's quite a
big workshop with a lot of stuff in it ... :-(

Arfa