Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Absolutely MARVELOUS photos of shaper restoration!!

On Mon, 13 May 2013 19:28:00 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. fired this volley in
:

Err... the basic difference between planers and shapers is that a
planer table moves and the tool is stationary while shapers are quite
the opposite. Nothing that I've seen restricts one, or the other to
any specific type of cut.

Exactly. And the machine that was described had a moving tool. But no
one ever seems to reads the OP. They just re-word the problem to their
solution.

Lloyd

I was replying to the following classification of a shaper...

"Since press brake dies usually require some sort of grooved profile,
and since the basic difference between 'planer' and 'shaper' is the
shape of the blade and work -- shapers being relegated to grooves and
edging, mostly... "

As I said, the difference is in whether the tool, or the work, moves.
Not in tool shape or whether the edges are being machined.
--
Cheers,

John B.