Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Absolutely MARVELOUS photos of shaper restoration!!

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
news
Why are you calling it a shaper, if it's planing long surfaces?

It seems like _everyone_ this week taken to twisting words of a post to
their own meaning so they can make their non-sequitor answers fit the
problem? Not just misunderstanding a post, no; actually changing the
terms to fit their arguments! Where the heck do you read the word
"planing" in _anything_ I wrote? I never even IMPLIED 'planing'. The
closest to that was the word 'cutter'.

It was cutting profiled grooves in large slabs of bronze, when I saw it.

I have no idea what the parts were -- if they were bushings, it seems
like they'd have been better made on a lathe, even if they were clamshell
style bearings. I also cannot understand the advantage of cutting the
bottom-side surface, where it's impossible to check the profile, except
at the very end of the slab.

It really looked like a dumb idea, but it was sitting there stroking
along piling chips on the floor, so they obviously had some practical use
for it.

I am only reporting it. And all I know about it is that it was ACTING as
a shaper when I saw it running. Maybe it planed, too, but it could have
only planed the surface to a width of the space between the bed
memebers... which iirc was about 18"-24".

LLoyd