Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default The shape of things to come ... ?

On Mon, 13 May 2013 21:11:44 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Also, did you look on top of things, it may not have
landed on the floor.

Chuckle. On Saturday, I was installing an Avaya phone switch, when I
dropped one of the odd shaped mounting screws. I used every trick I
could think of to find the screw, but it refused to appear. After
literally nailing the switch to the wall with a nail, the screw
magically reappeared on top of a nearby desk. A visitor to the office
had spotted it on the carpet, placed it on the desk so that I wouldn't
miss it, and then left without telling anyone. I hate helpful people.

One trick that I use on smooth floors is to turn off the room lights,
and use a flashlight parallel to the floor to cast a shadow. Even the
smallest screws cast a long shadow with this method.

Also, I have a magnet on a wooden pole if it happens to be a steel
screw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-magnetic-pickup-tool-42288.html

However, the best way is to enlist any available small kids to help
with the search. They're not fast or efficient, but they have better
eyes than me.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D