Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Reinforce Roof Against Falling Trees?

wrote in message

stuff snipped

There are no trees that can fall on my house

Careful, God will hear you and prove to you that he can work mighty wonders
like taking a tree (or a cow or a car) from you neighbor's house (or the
next town over) and smashing it into your home. (-: I learned a long time
ago that God has more contingencies than humans have contingency plans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/us...anted=all&_r=0

says: In 1995, researchers at the University of Oklahoma wanted to study
the pattern of debris carried long distances by tornadoes. So after a
tornado, they asked people to send them identifiable objects, for example,
canceled checks, which helpfully include the name and address of the check
writer, making it easy to figure out how far the check has traveled.
In five years, more than 1,000 objects were collected, said John T. Snow,
dean of the university's College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences, who
led the tornado debris project. Among the odder ones was a man's bowling
jacket. "It had his name stenciled on the back of it and the name of the
bowling alley," Dr. Snow said.

Most of the objects landed fairly close, 15 to 20 miles from where they
started. A few traveled more than 60 miles. The farthest an object traveled
was more than 150 miles. - KENNETH CHANG

I remember reading a SciFi novella a while back that described a time where
the winds starting increasing for no apparent reason until the Earth was
constantly being subjected to 200+ mph winds. It turned out that the best
form of building to resist the effects of wind-driven debris was a pyramid
shape. Makes sense since the Egyptian pyramids seem to have weathered all
sorts of sandstorms and other bad weather for thousands of years.

At the U. of Buffalo they used to tie rope lines tied to posts driven into
the ground next to the walkways so that students could "rope" their way to
class during the frequent "lake effect" blizzards. I was reminded of that
when I read about the Sherpas who allegedly tried to kill three climbers on
Everest who had allegedly interfered with their rigging climbing lines.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world...ngs-deep-rifts

It was hard enough to keep one's balance on level ground at sea level when
the "lake effect" blizzards blew through. I can only imagine what it's like
to end up high on Everest when a similar storm strikes. I guess that's one
reason a lot of people don't come back from their expedition to Everest.
Mallory must be rolling over in his grave - no wait, he doesn't have a
grave - he's been lying on the ice near the summit for almost 100 years

--

Bobby G.